Monday, August 17, 2009

A Childhood Memory: Clam Dip

When I was young, my mom used to make clam dip to eat with veggies, crackers and/or potato chips. I look back now and think I must have been an adventurous eater to have even tried such a thing. Even if Buppy's 2 kids tried it now, I suspect they wouldn't like it. Not that I wouldn't let them try it, I just have doubts that they'd actually want to eat it. They tend to shy away from foods they don't know and often pretend not to like things we've seen them eat just recently and enjoy. But that's fine, because that means more clam dip for Buppy and I!

As easy and tasty as this recipe is, I find it baffling that I've never seen it on any restaurant menu or had it at any party/gathering. I've never had it anywhere but in my momma's kitchen. That is, until I busted out and made it myself. It's just as good, if not better, than I remembered! It's great with carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, crackers or potato chips. It's pretty much good with anything (in my humble opinion!) This is a cold clam dip, just to let everyone know, and is super easy to throw together.

Clam Dip

2 (6 oz.) cans minced clams
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cubed
2 Tbsp. chopped instant onion (sometimes I finely chop real onion in place of the instant)
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Drain clams, reserving liquid. Beat all ingredients except clams with a handheld mixer (or in a blender or food processor). Make sure to use the reserved clam juice to make the dip whatever consistency you'd like it (some like it thicker, some thinner, so use the clam juice to get it how you want it.) Once everything is mixed well, stir in the clams; chill. Some might want the clams put into the blender/food processor/blended with the handheld mixer if actual chunks of clams are undesirable. To me, they're little chunks of goodness spread throughout this tasty dip. It's up to you though, so experiment and see what tickles your fancy. Also, this is really great with the addition of a little hot sauce or cayenne pepper for kick!

Update: I'm linking up to Life as Mom’s ultimate recipe swap for today (12/31/09) which is New Year's Meals & Munchies. I'm excited to see what recipes I find from the other contributors!

1 comment:

  1. Clam dip has got to be one of my favorites. I could eat the whole thing if I didn't want my pants to fit anynore:)

    I'll try to remember to post my recipe on my site so you can try it if you want. I'll try yours soon too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!