Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mushroom Corn Casserole

While Buppy and I didn't really have a traditional Christmas meal, we sure did Thanksgiving up right this year. I haven't had time to blog about it since then, but here I am with some time on my hands and a great mushroom corn casserole recipe to share.

The original recipe came from my "Winning Recipes from Taste of Home" cookbook I received as a Christmas gift from my mom in 2007. I modified it a little by leaving out the green pepper and just substituting more mushrooms for them. Neither Buppy nor myself really care for peppers, so it was an obvious choice. I was worried my sister wouldn't really care for it as it calls for Swiss cheese; little did I know she now enjoys it (she used to hate it when we were younger.) This was a great accompaniment to our rotisserie turkey breast and cheesy potatoes.


Mushroom Corn Casserole
Adapted from "Winning Recipes from Taste of Home"
Submitted by Mary Jones, Cumberland, Maine

1/3 c. finely chopped onion
3 Tbsp. butter, divided
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 can (14 3/4 oz.) cream-style corn
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, cubed
1 can (15 1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 c. chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 c. bread crumbs

In a saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in 1 Tbsp. butter until tender. Stir in the flour, cream corn, salt and pepper until blended. Add cream cheese; stir until melted. Stir in whole kernel corn and Swiss cheese. Transfer to a greased 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter. Sprinkle bread crumbs over corn mixture and drizzle melted butter over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400F for 20-25 min. or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!