Friday, January 29, 2010

Chicken Broccoli Braid, Thanks to Buppy

This recipe is thanks to Buppy. I'm not actually sure where he got it from, so I have no other credit to give. It's really tasty, not too complicated and yet fancy enough for company. I'm sure you could mix up the filling to suite your tastes. Hmmm, I bet it'd be really good as a pizza type braid. We might have to try that next time. I love how I have all sorts of great recipe variations as I'm blogging. And then I forget them. Write it down Bugaboo, write it down!Chicken Broccoli Braid

2 c. cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped (we usually use frozen, but fresh would work great too!)
½ c. mushrooms, chopped (we've used fresh and canned, both turned out well)
1 garlic clove, minced (we use the jarred pre-minced kind)
1 c. (4 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup reduced-fat mayo
2 tsp. dried dill weed
¼ tsp. salt
2 pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls (this is not the place to use generic; use Pillsbury, trust me!)
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375F. Chop chicken, broccoli and mushrooms and place in a bowl; add garlic and shredded cheese and mix gently. Add mayonnaise, dill weed and salt; mix well.


Unroll package of crescent dough; do not separate. Arrange longest sides of dough across width of rectangular stone or baking sheet. Repeat with remaining package of dough. Roll dough to seal perforations. On longest sides of stone/baking sheet, cut dough into strips 1½" apart, 3" deep. (There will be 6" in the center for the filling.) Spread filling evenly over middle of dough. To braid, lift strips of dough across mixture to meet in center, twisting each strip one turn. Continue alternating strips to form a braid. Tuck ends up to seal at end of braid. Brush egg white over dough. Bake 25-28 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Cut and serve. Yield: 10 servings. Enjoy!
To be honest, the recipe as I've copied it here from Buppy's file says this should make 2 braids. We jam pretty much all the filling into one package of crescent roll dough, which is why it looks so full in the pictures. Do what you'd like --- make 1 big or 2 smaller braids; smaller in the sense that they'd have less filling. I really like filling though.

1 comment:

  1. This looks Deliscious!

    Chicken and pastry.... nothing better lol!

    nice one!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!