Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Secret Ingredient You Say?

This past Saturday was the annual chili cook off held down at Buppy's brother's house in VA. Yes, I know, I already blogged about how much fun it was going to be, right? Well, lemme tell ya what really went down.

Buppy and I arrived around 5pm; the first guests to show as the actual 'arrive time' was 6pm. Shortly after our arrival, more guests started to filter through the door. Woo-hoo, let the party begin! Two of our good friends were in attendance, B & C, and there was drinking, chili tasting and great conversation to be had. All of sudden though, one of the neighbors reportedly got very ill after eating chili #2. "Oh well, perhaps it was the 'secret ingredient'", were the whispers. I assumed, for some unknown reason, that this secret ingredient was venison. That, or she was allergic to some of the peppers in it. It happened to be the hottest chili brought to the party.

As the night progressed, some of us moved out into the garage for some beer pong; undoubtedly the best part of the night. This is when people really begin to let loose and have fun. And this happened to be about the time I started to feel ill. I played a few rounds of beer pong with the gang, then headed off to bed. I was ill. Buppy's brother blamed the alcohol, calling me a light weight and other fun names. And at first, I thought it might be the case. But then I thought about what I drank. And how sick I became. And I realized the acohol couldn't be to blame.

I woke up Sunday morning to all sorts of sarcastic comments from friends about how I can't drink with the big kids. I ate some sausage and a little orange juice for breakfast, then proceeded to throw it up. I drank some Sprite before we hit the road for our journey home, only to make Buppy pull over about 20 minutes later so I could throw that up as well. I thought, after awhile, that maybe eating something would help as I hadn't eaten much the night before, other than the small tastes of the 14 chilis. McDonald's didn't agree with me and about 45 min. after eating, I made Buppy pull over so I could throw it up again. In a Taco Bell/KFC parking lot. Is that bad? At least it wasn't their food I was throwing up, right?

As soon as we got home, I went to bed. I woke up about 3 hours later and went down and watched a movie with Buppy, still sick to my stomach and with a sore throat coming on. I woke up Monday morning, still sick to my stomach with an even worse sore throat. The kind where you can't even talk because it's hurts so much. Speaking of which, Buppy sucks at charades. Sorry hun, I still love you though. DayQuill helped, luckily, but I'm still feeling under the weather today, at work. But at least I made it in.

That secret ingredient from chili #2 who, by the way, was the winner of the cook off? Wild boar. Didn't find that out until the next morning as I was eating my sausage and sippin' on my OJ. I can't say for sure that this is what made me sick. I'm not sure what did, but I can say for *almost* certain that we can't blame the booze for this one folks. I don't see myself eating chili again for a long, long time.

1 comment:

  1. O...M...G!!! This is NOT the review I was expecting after a chili cook-off where you were
    A.) Sampling food all night, hence having something always on your stomach
    and
    B.)Drinking beer! The most easy-going of adult beverages.
    That swine did you in girl! Coincidence that the neighbor went down right after a sampling?? I think not. That Chili was passive aggresive, however it gave off a warning shot!
    I agree - a moratorium on the Chili cook-offs for 9 mos or so...but a Rib Cook-off....now THAT ONE will NEVER let you down.
    S-
    Fell better soon. Snort!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!