Friday, May 14, 2010

Open-Faced Chicken Sammys

This recipe sounded like something Buppy and I would love from the minute I read it. With such great ingredients, how could one go wrong? While I might have overdone it a little with the bleu cheese [I get crazy with that sometimes!], it was still really good. I just have to remember that a cheese like bleu really intensifies when heated!Open-faced Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005

3 [3/4 inch] slices cut from a round, good-quality loaf of Italian bread
1/4 lb. fresh mushroom [I confess, I didn't measure]
1/4 med. yellow onion, sliced
1/4 c. reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/8 c. crumbled bleu cheese [I used roughly 1/4 this time around and found it to be a lil' too much]
1 Tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/4 lb. cooked chicken [I boiled a leg quarter I had in the fridge and used meat from that, but you could use whatever you have on hand]
1/3 c. [4 oz.] shredded Italian blend cheese

In a large non-stick skillet , saute mushrooms and onion in butter for 8-10 minutes or until they're tender and golden brown; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, bleu cheese and pepper; mix well. Spread bleu cheese mixture over each bread slice. Top with chicken, mushroom mixture and other cheese. Place on a broiler pan; broil 4-6 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings [Buppy had 2 slices, I had one].
The original recipe didn't call for butter; instead, it wanted me to use non-stick cooking spray. I couldn't. Not for sauteing mushies and onions! Also, this recipe's ingredients are all basically quartered from the original version since it was just Buppy and I eating. The original also suggested toasting the bread prior to spreading on the mayo mixture. While I skipped it this time, I might do that next time just to see if it makes a difference. Oh, and the original recipe calls for French bread, I believe. I couldn't resist using a hearty Italian --- it was calling my name in the grocery store!So there you have it. I modified it some, but that's the fun of being in the kitchen. Recipes aren't set in stone, they're a guide. Buppy and I liked this recipe and agreed we'd like to make it again. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had an open faced sandwich for a very long time - yours look great.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!