Thursday, January 13, 2011

White Chip Island Cookies

My brother's birthday is today, and since he's such a great big brother, and since he asked so politely, I made him white chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookies. He's apparently a sucker for Subway's version. Funny story, the first grocery store I stopped at had 2 oz. packages of macadamia nuts for $3.50 or so. Second and third grocery stores didn't even carry 'em. Finally found 'em at Walmart (not a super center, so even though they had limited food in stock, they still luckily had the nuts), 6.5 oz. or so for $5.98. Not the cheapest nuts ever, but at that point I was just happy to have found any at all!

I checked the back of the bag of white chocolate chips, Nestle Toll House brand, and noticed that they had a recipe for White Chip Island Cookies. Since I'm not big into this type of cookie, I called my brother for advice. He'd said the cookies he likes are just like regular chocolate chip cookies, but with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts instead. Toll House's version seemed similar to what I'd expect, but their "island" addition was coconut. My brother figured that since he likes everything else I make that has coconut in it, why not give it a try? So that's exactly what I did.

White Chip Island Cookies
Ever-so-slightly adapted from the recipe found on the Nestle Toll House bag of Premier White Morsels

1 2/3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla-nut-butter extract
1 large egg
2 c. (12 oz. package) Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels
1 c. flaked coconut
3/4 c. chopped macadamia nuts (or walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugars and extract in a separate (larger) bowl until creamy. Add the egg and beat until mixed. Beat the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Stir in morsels, coconut and nuts. Here's where it got tricky for me . . .

My 1st pan, after dropping scoops of dough onto it and baking per instructions, wouldn't level out. The original oven temp called for was 375F, but the outsides were almost burning and the cookies wouldn't flatten, so the insides were still too raw. I decided then to drop my oven temp to 350F. I also decided that, after all my cookies dough blobs were on the cookies sheet, I'd wet my hands, roll them around and flatten slightly for a more even bake. It worked, and my pans became more uniformly done with no burnt edges/raw insides.

I baked each pan for approximately 9 minutes, rotating the pans after 5 minutes.

I never thought of our oven as being hotter than normal, so the temp and time at which to bake your cookies will ultimately be up to you. Only you know your oven and it's quirks. I do advise somehow squishing the cookies slightly though so you don't end up with burnt edges.
I'm not sure I'd make this recipe again. The cookies taste good and I'm sure my brother will appreciate them, but . . . I'm just curious now if I'd have better luck and less hassle with a new recipe. We'll see. Anywho, happy birthday to my wonderful brother! Enjoy!

*This post is linked to Life as Mom’s Ultimate Recipe Swap (URS) for 3/3/11, Freezer Friendly Recipes. Check her blog out for more ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I tried these cookies with soynuts instead of regular nuts cuz of allergies & they are absolutely awesome cookies.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!