Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Split Pea & Ham Soup

I love soup. There, I said it. Doesn't matter the time of year or even what kind, I just really, really love soup. Buppy eats soup more in winter than the warmer months, but he'll still take some of the stuff that I make and freeze to work if we don't have much else in the house. I remember growing up, my dad used to make split pea & ham soup; it was one of my favorites, along with his chicken dumpling. While what I make doesn't taste like his, it's just as delish!

Pam, author of
For the Love of Cooking, has some amazing recipes on her site. I decided to give hers a try when I got hungry for split pea & ham soup, and I wasn't disappointed. While I'll list the ingredients and directions here, her pictures are much better; stop on over to check out her original post here.

Split Pea & Ham Soup
From For the Love of Cooking

1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 carrots, diced
1-2 stalks of celery, diced
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
1 lb. ham steak, diced
7-8 c. chicken or vegetable stock
1 lb. dried split peas (rinsed)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Cook the onion until slightly tender. Add garlic and ham; cook for 60 seconds or so. Add 6 c. stock, peas and bay leaf to pot; salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium-low heat for 1½-2 hrs. Add stock as necessary to keep from becoming too thick/burning. Add the carrots, celery and potatoes, then cook for another 30-45 min. or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!