Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ham Cream Cheese Dip (The love of my coworker's husband!)

I'm a huge fan of dips and appetizers of pretty much all shapes, sizes and varieties. I love them about as much as I love soup, and that's really sayin' somethin'. I'm not sure what it is about appetizers that just makes me melt, but they're just so . . . . yummy! Sometimes easy to make, sometimes a bit more complicated but darn near always super-uber-good. I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but I've had it for quite some time now.

Once upon a time in my life back in Wisconsin, I made this for an employee Christmas party at the hotel where I worked. I didn't actually get to stay for the party (I'd had a bad accident the week before and just couldn't do it) but I'd still made food to take in to my lovely friends and fellow staff. The next day I was cornered by our assistant head housekeeper; her husband was such a fan of this dip that she just had to have the recipe. And you know what? It's so easy, I jotted it down from memory right then and there for her. I'm pretty sure she's made it many times since then and her husband loves her all the more for it.

This is a very simple dip and could be jazzed up with anything else you care to add (other cheeses, spices ---I bet cayenne would be a great addition, etc.), but is also great as is. I've found it to be tasty with crackers (Wheat Thins have always been a favorite of mine), veggies like celery or . . . on bagels. Yes, it makes a wonderful bagel spread! Mix some up, chow down and enjoy!

Ham Cream Cheese Spread

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 c. sour cream
¼ tsp. garlic powder
2 pkgs. (2 ½ oz. each) deli ham, chopped
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced

Blend (I use a hand held mixer) cream cheese, sour cream and garlic until smooth. Stir in ham and green onions. This makes about 2 ½ c.


For more great recipes (this week's theme is cool food and drink), stop on over to Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!