Thursday, August 20, 2009

Movin' On Up

It's hard to believe I've been with my current employer for roughly a year and a half. While it wasn't the job I expected or hoped for when moving from Wisconsin to Maryland, it has taught me valuable lessons and been a good experience. And I actually used my degree! (This was the first job where I could actually make that claim.)

The time has now come for me to move on to bigger and better things. I am finishing out my last 2 weeks here with my current employer and will then shift back into the hospitality and food service industry, where my true passion lies. The new position is in a management capacity, increases my earnings, will provide excellent experience in the areas where I need to grow and learn, and is about 20 min. closer to home. As it happens, I applied for one position and they were impressed enough to offer me the management slot on the spot!

Because I'm not sure what type of schedule I'll have yet (and I'm guessing it'll be a mish-mash of shifts as managers generally work), it's become hard to know what's best as far as my part time employment is concerned. I currently bartend on Fri. nights, Saturdays and Sundays. I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue such shifts with whatever my new schedule turns out to be. I also applied and was hired for a serving position much closer to home, but found out last night that the tips there are not what I thought they'd be. It's nice to have these options open, even if I'm not sure which way to go.

This change in employment/my schedule will also make it more likely that we'll be able to get a dog soon. We've wanted one for some time now and our friends are actually taking care of one that was supposed to come to us. Due to scheduling conflicts on Fridays, we were unable to take the dog until now because it'd be in the house alone for too long. Hopefully this will all change and Yogo will finally be able to come live with us. I'm not sure if Buppy realizes this or not, but having the dog won't get him out of getting me a cat too (he promised me I could have one).

I'm very excited about what this new adventure will bring for me as well as for Buppy and I together. Being back in food service, especially working with catering, will *cross my fingers* give me the experience I need to move into an even larger market eventually, like Baltimore or DC. I'm giddy just thinking about it. And not having to get up at 5am five days a week will mean I'll hopefully have more energy, spend more time with Buppy, spend less time being tired and enjoy life a little more. Things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!