Monday, October 26, 2009

I'm Feelin' Saucy!

Buppy and I have been talking about eating healthier lately, but it's a struggle when we have so many recipes that we either love or want to try that don't quit fit in the 'healthy' range. We had some chicken breasts out yesterday since Buppy had offered to make his chicken parmesan (which is really good), but I asked if I could find something a little more healthy for us. He was up for that, so I started flipping through one of my Light & Tasty magazines. The velvet shrimp dish we tried was a super success, so I'm definitely willing to try more of their offerings.

I stumbled across a recipe for saucy mushroom pork chops that sounded adaptable for chicken. While I don't like cooking with cream-of-whatever soups a whole lot, once in awhile is acceptable. This happened to be one of those instances. I tweaked the recipe only slightly, and my version is below. I basically added more mushroom (I love mushrooms) and onions (yup, love those too!) and used a different cream soup than it called for. Overall, the recipe stayed very similar to the original.

Saucy Mushroom Chicken
Adapted from Light & Tasty, Sept. 2006
Courtsey of Karlene Lantz, Felton, CA

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved butterfly style (butterfly, but cut all the way through so you end up with 6 pieces relatively the same size)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 tsp. canola oil, divided
1 ½ c. sliced fresh mushrooms
½ c. chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
½ c. white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
½ c. reduced sodium chicken broth

Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper. Brown both sides of chicken in a large, non-stick skillet in 1 tsp. oil; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add wine or brother and stir up any browned bits. Cooked for 4-6 min. or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in soup and broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 min. or until meat juices run clear. Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!