Saturday, October 24, 2009

Grandma's Shrimp Appetizer, Jazzed Up

I realize that my last 2 posts have been about shrimp dishes, but I just created this appetizer today, took pics and decided that this too needed to be blogged about. It was that good.I talked in a previous post about a simple appetizer my grandma used to make with shrimp, cream cheese and cocktail sauce. I also had a dish similar to this at a wine tasting party a few months ago. Today I got a craving and decided to create my own.

I already had cream cheese in the fridge and usually make my own cocktail sauce. I knew we had almost all the other ingredients I wanted to use except for a can of tiny shrimp, so we picked that up this morning while out running errands.

This is what I threw together (as usual for the girl who never remembers to measure, all these measurements are approximate!!):

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened in the microwave
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8-1/4 tsp. celery salt
2 tsp. Old Bay
2 Tbsp. finely minced raw onion
1 tsp. lemon juice

I mixed all of this with a hand mixer until smooth, creamy and well blended; spread this onto any type of plate you choose. Pick something fun that makes you feel good!

Homemade cocktail sauce is easy:

Mix together as much ketchup and horseradish as you'd like, making sure the heat matches your tastes. I added about 1 tsp. lemon juice to mine as well this time and it was a nice addition.
This cocktail sauce was then spread out over the cream cheese mixture on the plate. I topped the entire thing with one can of tiny shrimp, drained. I used chopped green onion as a garnish, but lemon wedges or fresh parsley would work well too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!