Friday, October 9, 2009

Scramble (or what the rest of the world knows as Chex Mix)

My family has been making what we call Scramble for as long as I can remember. We're talking way before you could buy pre-made Chex Mix in the stores. My grandma used to make it, my mom used to make it and now I make it. While I like the store bought stuff on occasion, I also like to control what goes in it at home. Do I feel like mixed nuts or strictly peanuts today? Since I don't care for wheat Chex, I can leave 'em out if I'm making it for myself. I can cut the batch in half if I don't want so much. You get the idea? Also, the homemade version makes a good addition to holiday gift bags and baskets as something salty to go with all the sweet! So here's the Chex brand recipe, tried and true.

Scramble, a.k.a. Chex Mix
Recipe can also be found here, with microwave instructions


6 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tsp. seasoned salt
¾ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
3 c. (each) Corn, Rice and Wheat Chex
1 c. mixed nuts
1 c. pretzels
1 c. garlic bagel chips

Heat oven to 250F. Melt butter and stir in seasonings. Place all other ingredients in a large roaster; pour butter and seasoning over and stir to coat. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Makes 12 cups.

I often leave out the bagel chips, simply because it wasn't made with them when I was little. The best part about making this stuff at home is the option of omitting and adding what suites your tastes on that particular occasion. By the way, butter flavored pretzels in here are great. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. My husband loves this stuff. Your recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!