Thursday, December 17, 2009

Commission

Commission is a wonderful thing. This is the first career move I've made where I earn commission, and while 2% doesn't sound like a lot, I learned in November that it can add up if I work hard at booking events. As I said in my previous post, I earned 5x what I was predicted to earn for my first month, which means I booked a helluva (dip? cheese?) lot more events than anyone expected. And while I'm assuming that some months will be leaner than others, I've decided to take all of my commission and put it into a separate savings account, which I plan only to touch in case of an emergency.

I've given myself a reasonable goal to reach by the end of 2010. Since I've seen how greedy Uncle Sam can be, I'm only counting what I actually see on my paycheck, not the amount I actually earn before taxes. It should be an interesting journey to watch my status bar climb each month. I haven't figured out what I'll do with the money eventually, but it'll be nice to have a tidy little sum to play with. Outdoor hot tub? Vacations? Motorcycle? We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!