Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Snow Day & Mom's Island Treasures

Thank goodness it's Saturday. It's been a rather long week at the hotel and I'm glad to finally have a break. Meteorologists are predicting 1'-2' of snow for us here in MD, which is pretty much unheard of for us. We were supposed to be celebrating Christmas down at Buppy's mom's house in VA today, but we canceled that yesterday. So today will bring baking cookies, a fire in the fireplace, possibly playing in the snow (it's 21F here now but according to weather.com, it feels like 9F), wrapping presents and enjoying what Mother Nature is throwing our way.

One of cookies I plan to bake today are called Mom's Island Treasures. I'm not sure where I found this recipe, but I made it for the first time about a month ago and they were a huge hit at work. I'll bake them today and plan to mail them out with the care package that's headed to my family in Wisco on Monday.

Mom's Island Treasures

1 2/3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
7/8 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. milk chocolate chips (I'm subbing butterscotch today)
1 c. flake coconut
1 c. chopped pecans (I'm subbing walnuts because I more on hand today)

Preheat oven to 375F. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Mix in the chocolate chips, coconut and pecans. Roll dough into 1" balls and place the cookies 2" apart on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 min. in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2 min. before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

On a quick side note, I'm chilling the dough in the fridge today after mixing it up so it's easier to work with and sticks to my hands less. We'll see how this works.

I'm so happy that I make sure to keep all sorts of baking supplies on hand so I can whip up whatever treats I want while I'm snowed in. Our house is going to smell wonderful in about half an hour! Enjoy!

Update: I decided to search the web for Mom's Island Treasure so I could give credit where credit is due, and I found the one and only recipe on allrecipes.com. According to their website, the recipe is from Angie Lov. You can view it here:
allrecipes.com. Thanks Angie --- they're delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!