Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Creamy Fruit Salad, My Way

For Sunday's brunch with Buppy's family, fruit salad had to be part of the spread. Can you really host a brunch and not offer some type of fruity goodness? No, I thought not.

My inspiration came from Hannah’s Hangout; to be honest, I'm not even sure how I found her recipe. Bloghopping obviously, but from where? Oh well. I changed it up a bit using what I had on hand as well as what she suggested, and it was divine. I can't wait to play with other fruits and flavors of Jello. So simple, yet very satisfying. As I said in a previous post, Buppy's dad had 3rds! His brother wouldn't eat it because it had pineapple, but other than that, it was a success.

Creamy Fruit Salad
Adapted from Hannah’s Hangout

1 (14.4 oz.) fruit cocktail (a little smaller or larger would be fine; this was the only normal size I could find)
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks
1 small pkg. peach Jello (peach passion fruit? it was peach-something anyway)
1 (8 oz.) carton reduced fat sour cream
1 (8 oz.) container whipped topping (thawed)
1 medium-sized apple
1/2 c. mini marshmallow

I first mixed together the sour cream and whipped topping, then added the Jello and let it sit overnight. I felt that this would help cut prep time in the morning and would allow the Jello to fully dissolve. In the morning, I drained the 2 cans of fruit and added them, along with the chopped apple (mine was red delicious because it's what I had on hand) and mini marshmallows. I mixed it all together, transferred to a nice serving dish and viola --- instant hit! Enjoy!


*Linked to Life as Mom’s  Ultimate Recipe Swap for 4/28/11 --- salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!