Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting

I've had this recipe saved for awhile now and finally decided to make it as it's a coworker's birthday tomorrow. What a great way to celebrate! Guinness, cupcakes, Bailey's --- oh my! I'm not sure where I found this recipe originally, but I know Nook & Pantry's blog has the exact same recipe on it. Maybe I was browsing there one day; whatever the case, here we are.

To be honest, I wasn't apparently all there last night when I made these. About 30 seconds after I stuck the first muffin tin of 12 into the oven, I had to snatch it back out. Hmmmm Bugaboo. The recipe mentions vanilla and eggs, neither of which I put in. I was so busy reading the direction part I failed to double-check that I actually added all ingredients. I actually had to scrape all the batter out of the cupcake liners, dump it back into the bowl, add my missing ingredients and then refill new liners. Can we say forgetful?

Once done, I think they turned out alright. I'm not a huge cupcake/cake/pie fan overall, but they were still good. What I did notice is that once they are iced with the Bailey's frosting, the Guinness flavor really doesn't come through much at all. Not that this is a bad thing though; the frosting was really good.

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
Found on
Nook & Pantry

2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
½ c. Dutch processed cocoa powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
1 c. granulated sugar
½ c. brown sugar (light or dark)
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
½ c. sour cream
1 (12 oz.) bottle (1 ½ c.) Guinness or stout beer

Preheat the oven to 350F and butter or line with paper cups 2-12 count muffin tins.

In a large bowl briefly whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.

Add one egg and beat until evenly mixed and fluffy, making sure to scrape down the mixer bowl once in a while. Add the second egg and vanilla extract and beat again until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and beat in, then with the mixer running, slowly pour in the Guinness.

Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and slowly stir the batter until it is evenly mixed and there are no streaks of flour. Make sure to stop the mixer frequently to scrape down the sides and make sure to mix up any flour pockets hidden on the bottom of the bowl.

Divide 1/4 c. of batter into each muffin cup; you’ll get about 20 – 24 cupcakes. Bake at 350F on the middle rack for 20 – 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake in the middle of the pan should come out clean. Make sure to rotate the pans halfway through baking. Set on a rack to cool to room temperature before frosting.

Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting
Found on
Nook & Pantry

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. confectioner’s sugar
4-6 Tbsp. Bailey’s Irish Cream


Beat everything but the Bailey’s in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Slowly drizzle in the Bailey’s, more or less depending on how boozey you want the frosting, and beat until completely incorporated into the frosting. Now go frost those cupcakes!

While I said that I'm not a huge cupcake person, they've been a huge success here at work so far today!

Enjoy!


*Pictures to come soon, once I upload them off my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!