Friday, March 19, 2010

More Veggies in Cake! [Choco-Zucchini Cake]

I first tried this cake back in '03 or '04 while bartending at a supper club back in Wisco. One of our regulars brought it in for some reason and I immediately fell in love. While I don't dislike zucchini, I was definitely surprised to hear that the cake contained a fair amount of it. My immediate thought: sweet --- I'm gettin' a serving of veggies with my dessert!

I attempted to bring it as dessert the first time Buppy and I visited his family in VA [my first time meeting his brother and sister-in-law], and for some odd reason, the zucchini all sunk to the bottom. It hasn't happened any other time I've made it, so I'm calling it a fluke. FLUKE I tell you! I haven't made it again since then, but I still feel like it's a great recipe worth sharing, especially since you can slip some veggies in. If you make it and the zucchini sinks, please let me know. If you make it and it turns out awesome, go ahead and rub that in my face, too!

Choco-Zucchini Cake
RB passed the recipe on to me, but I have no idea where she found it

½ c. shortening
½ c. oil
1 ¾ c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
½ c. sour milk (add ½ Tbsp. vinegar to milk to make sour; be sure to let sit 5 minutes prior to adding to other ingredients)
2 ½ c. flour
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 c. zucchini, shredded
Chocolate chips and nuts for topping cake

Preheat oven to 350F; cream shortening, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk; blend. Stir in dry ingredients. Add grated zucchini. Pour into greased 9”x13” pan. Sprinkle top of cake with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake 40-45 minutes.

I have pictures, but they're just of the top and the lighting is bad, so I'll spare you. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. My kids love chocolate zucchini bread so I am sure they would LOVE this cake.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!