Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's Zuppa Dupa---

As in "super duper."

While I don't eat out at typical 'chain' restaurants like Houlihan's or Texas Roadhouse very often, I do go occasionally, especially if we have a gift certificate and I've had a long day. Sometimes it's nice not to have to clean up after yourself, ya know? However, since learning how to make this soup that I love from the Olive Garden, I haven't been back. When I'd gone there in the past, since I'm not really into pasta, I'd always have their soup, salad and bread sticks with this particular soup. Now I have absolutely no need to go.

I love the spiciness of the sausage paired with the creamy broth this soup offers. And the addition of the kale gives it nice vibrant green pizazz. Even Buppy, who doesn't like green veggies like kale and spinach, devours this soup.

Zuppa Toscana
My sister-in-law created this version --- yay her!

1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
5 med.-sized red potatoes
½ -1 tsp. minced garlic
½ med.-sized onion, minced
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper [ground]
2 Tbsp. minced celery leaves [or a dash of celery salt]
2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
1 bunch fresh kale
4 c. water
3 c. milk
1 c. half & half
Parmesan cheese [optional], for garnish

Cook sausage; when done, empty pan and set meat aside. Drain excess oil, leaving a small amount to sauté veggies. Add potatoes, garlic, onion, seasoning, celery leaves and 1 c. water. Cook until vegetables become tender. Add remaining water, milk, half & half and kale. Continue to cook until kale is tender. Taste and re-season to your liking. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving. And by the way, crusty bread is this soup's best friend!

It's a fairly simple recipe that yields fantastic results. I adore this soup, and the fact that the broth is so creamy with only 1 cup of half & half [I use fat free if I can find it] just astounds me. Rockin'.

Funny and strange coincidence today --- I was checking out some of my favorite sites and found that Maria over at
Two Peas and Their Pod was blogging about the same soup today. Weird. Anywho, you can check out her post here; the recipe her hubby made has bacon in it, mine doesn't. But who doesn't love bacon?!? Might have to give this one a try next time!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!