Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Easy Waldorf & Raisin Salad

I grew up eating and loving my mom's Waldorf salad. I know now, as an adult, that it's not exactly something I could consider healthy. Yes mom, the apples, raisins and nuts are all good for me, but the marshmallows and mayonnaise aren't.

When I saw this recipe in my cookbook, I knew I had to try to make it so I could be healthier but still indulge in a salad that I've loved since childhood. While not exactly like my mom makes, it was really good. I took this, along with a fresh strawberry pie [to be blogged about soon] up to Gettysburg when we were up visiting Buppy's parents this weekend. They both liked it, too. I can tell you that Tiny Tot #1 did not like the raisins, which is odd because he eats them for lunch whenever we send them in with him. Tiny Tot #2 loved the raisins and didn't really want to eat anything else in the salad. I think that was partly my fault --- I was in a hurry to make this and cut the apples a little large for his mouth.

Easy Waldorf and Raisin Salad
Adapted from Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005
Janice Smith, Cynthiana, KY

4 c. cubed apples
1 c. unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained & chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped celery
2 Tbsp. chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. raisins
1 c. [8 oz.] reduced-fat sour cream
1 Tbsp. reduced fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. orange juice

In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and orange juice. Pour over the apple mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Toss just before serving. Yield: 6 servings.

I can't post the nutritional info for this one as listed in the book as I changed the recipe slightly. Oh well, overall it's still light & tasty, and that's what matters to me. The orange juice not only helps keep the apples from turning brown, it added a really nice hint of citrus to the salad as well. I'll definitely make this again, especially now that it's Spring and fruit salads are all the rage [in my book anyway]! Enjoy!
*Sorry, really bad lighting for the pic!

Linked to Life as Mom’s Ultimate Recipe Swap for 3/24/11 - Spring Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!