Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Pie

This is good. Like, real good. Messy, I'll admit, but worth it. Simple, too. Oh, and it's pretty!

Fresh Strawberry Pie
Adapted from Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005
Judy Watson, Newmarket, Ontario

2 pints fresh strawberries
1 pastry shell [9 in.], baked
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cold water
5-6 drops red food coloring, optional
Reduced-fat whipped topping

Set aside approximately 1 c. strawberries. Arrange remaining berries in pie shell. With a fork, mash reserved 1 c. strawberries; set aside.
In a saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add mashed strawberries and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into strawberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for up to 2 minutes until thickened [mine thickened almost immediately, just FYI.] Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over strawberries in crust. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
The original recipe calls for 3 pints plus 1 c. of strawberries, but to be honest, I'm not sure what'd I'd have done with all the extra berries. I used the 2 pints I had on hand and that seemed like the perfect amount. I suppose I could have mashed up a few more for the cooked mixture, but I don't feel like I shorted myself at all using only 2 pints.

This pie definitely didn't hold it's shape when it was taken out of the pie plate, but that's not a huge thing for me. As long as it tastes good --- that's more what I'm all about. I'm sure I'll make this again during the summer months. Enjoy!

P.S. Today I discovered that Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap topic is summer recipes. This is really the epitome of summer for me as I used to picked fresh strawberries every year with my grandparents when I was young. That's how you knew summer was really here. For more great summer recipes, check out her site!

1 comment:

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!