Thursday, May 6, 2010

Baked & Seasoned Potato Chips

Remember that darn ol' sweet potato from Thanksgiving that I keep wanting to use up? Well folks, she's finally in a better place now. Ok, maybe not better; she got pitched. I actually attempted to make baked sweet potato chips on Tuesday night, but there was a dark [ok, black] spot that ran all through the potato. While I could have cut that part off, Buppy and I agreed that we'd rather waste the food, the money it cost and the space it's taken up for five months than be sick.

The original recipe using the sweet potato comes from my Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005 cookbook. I know, shocker, right, seeing as how almost every recipe I've blogged about for the past few weeks has come from the same darn book. What can I say? I'm trying to eat better, and their food actually turns out pretty well. Ok, minus the white bean tuna salad. Not a fan. But I digress.

This recipe is super simple to throw together on a busy night, then shove it in the oven and forget it. And even though I'm not big into rosemary [why eat pine? might as well drink gin, I say], I really liked these puppies. So did Buppy. We'll be making these again, fo' sho', and we might even try 'em with sweet potatoes like the recipe calls for. Eh, maybe not. I'd probably buy one or two and they'd sit around for another year or so.

Baked Seasoned Potato Chips
Adapted from Baked Sweet Potato Chips found in Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005

3 medium white potatoes
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
3/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
Dash white pepper
1/2-3/4 Tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut potatoes into 1/8" slices. In a bowl, combine seasonings and olive oil. Toss gently with potatoes, making sure to evenly coat. Place in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets coated with non-stick cooking spray [we covered the sheets with non-stick foil instead of spraying].
Bake, uncovered, at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and tender, turning both the pan and the potatoes themselves once.

There ya have it. Super simple, really tasty and not bad for you! What more could you ask for? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!