Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chicken & Artichokes with Wine Sauce

I’m a big chicken fan, and we often cook with boneless, skinless breasts because they’re relatively healthy, quick and easy. I’m also a huge fan of artichokes, although I’ll admit more so the canned version than the fresh ones [which are so much work for such little reward!] White wine you say? Heck yes, throw some in! ‘Shrooms? Couldn’t live without ‘em. This dish was obviously a no-brainer for me. Turns out, I’m a fan of it, too! Shocker!

I must admit I was a bit skeptical when I saw there were no onions or garlic. I thought to myself, “Self, who cooks like that?” However both Buppy and I were pleasantly surprised and appreciated how light it turned out.

Chicken & Artichokes with Wine Sauce
Adapted from
Proceed with Caution, which she adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, Bridal Edition, page 427

¼ c. white flour
½ tsp. dried sage
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 can artichoke hearts [in water], quartered
1 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch

1/3 c. dry white wine
1/3 c. chicken broth
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish

Freshly cooked angel hair pasta

In a shallow dish, stir together flour, sage, approx. ¼ tsp. salt [I didn’t actually measure] and approx. 1/8 tsp. freshly cracked pepper. Coat the chicken breasts in this flour mixture.

Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over med.-high heat until hot. Cook chicken in hot oil until no longer pink. The breasts I was cooking were relatively thick, even after they were pounded down slightly, and they took about 14 minutes to cook through. The original recipe recommends 8-10 minutes, so keep an eye on them and continue to temp. or cut one open to test for doneness. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm once cooked.

In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms and artichoke hearts in hot butter over medium heat for 3 minutes or until artichokes are tender.

In a container with a lid [so you can shake all this together], mix cornstarch, wine, broth and a pinch of salt. Shake until cornstarch is dissolved, then add this mixture to the skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.

Place a chicken breast [or half of one, depending on their size] on a bed of hot angel hair pasta and top with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Side note: The pan I used to cook everything in is raised in the center and lays flat around the outside, so thickening my sauce at the end was a challenge because only the little that stuck to the middle was thickening and the rest flowed to the outside where it wasn’t. Boo. Make sure to use a flat pan so you don’t have the same trouble.


Side note, part deux: There wasn't a lot of sauce, so don't get your hopes up. Just want to make you aware. I'm thinking next time I might double the wine/broth and add a little extra cornstarch. Or possibly not serve it over pasta, but beside a potato or other starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!