Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chai Tea Latte Mix

I love chai tea. I love lattes. I can't afford to hit up Starbucks everyday in the winter to keep warm, so I like to whip up a batch of this chai tea latte mix and keep it on hand. I first got the idea when I was living with a roommate in '08 and she said she loved these lattes, too. Instead of a Starbucks gift card, I decided to search the 'net and create the mix for us to keep in our apartment. I placed some in a cute snowman jar I purchased at a department store (the kind with the rubber seal on the lid), tied a bow around it, found a little wooden spoon to go with it and bam! Instant present. And she loved it. Now around Thanksgiving time I like to make a batch since I know it's only going to get colder out. It makes quite a bit but keeps well. Or give some to your friends & family!

Chai Tea Latte Mix
Not sure where I picked this recipe up

¾ c. non-fat dry milk powder
1 ¼ c. powdered non-dairy creamer
1 ½ c. French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
2 c. sugar
1 ¼ c. brown sugar
2 c. unsweetened instant tea
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ¼ tsp. cloves
1 ½ tsp. ground cardamom
1 ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. finely ground white pepper

Mix all ingredients together. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 c. at a time until mixture is the consistency of fine powder. To serve: stir 2 heaping tablespoons of the mix into a mug of hot water. To make richer & creamier, use 2% milk instead of water.

I made it without the cardamom the first time because I didn't have any on hand and it was ridiculously expensive at the time. I didn't miss it. This time around, I'll be adding it since my sister brought me some. While I'm sure it'll be a great addition, as I said, it wasn't missed when not in the mix. Enjoy!

This post will be linked to Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap for favorite holiday (Thanksgiving) recipes. Check out her blog for more great ideas!

Thanksgiving Pictures, Images and Photos

Photo courtesy of ugalulu via photobucket.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!