Thursday, November 18, 2010

Three Cheese Fondue

Ah, my 2nd attempt at cheese fondue. I'm pretty much ready to bath myself in this stuff.

I found a recipe on the 'net, but decided to change things up a bit when I saw the price of Emmentaler that day at the grocery store. What fun is life if you can't make up your own fondue rules, right? Right. So instead of Emmentaler, I used Gouda. While not the easiest cheese to shred, it made the fondue so rich and creamy. This is definitely a keeper.
Three Cheese FondueAdapted from AhLimP's submission on allrecipes.com
1 c. white wine
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. minced garlic
7(+/-) oz. Gruyere, shredded
7(+/-) oz. extra sharp white cheddar, shredded
7(+/-) oz. gouda, shredded
(or chopped as gouda is hard to shred)
Melt the butter on low heat in the fondue pot. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook 1 minute, give or take, so the flour taste cooks out. Note: my heat was a little too high at first, so I added the wine after about 30 seconds so the roux wouldn't burn. Add the wine and garlic to the mixture and stir well. Add the cheeses, a handful at a time, and continue to stir to melt everything. Once it's all melted and creamy, start dippin'!

Our favorite dippers include soft pretzels, rye bagels (toasted), blanched cauliflower & broccoli, roasted pearl onions, asparagus, potatoes & cremini mushrooms, and steak.
All gone!
I'm linking this post up to this week's Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life as Mom. Her topic this week is New Year's foods, and while we're having steak this year (a gift from Buppy's dad that we received earlier this week), fondue at home would make a perfect, decadent & delicious meal for New Year's. Something to plan for next year for moi. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!