Monday, November 15, 2010

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies

When I call these little square of goodness sweet, it's the understatement of the year. It's like saying bacon is good. Words just can't describe, which is why I was only able to eat 1 bite per day for 4 days to finish off a small square. Buppy, along with the birthday girl and her husband, didn't have that problem. I'm guessing it's because I don't eat sweets very often, so when I do, they tend to overwhelm me.

A good friend of ours requires a gluten free diet, and since her birthday was a few weeks ago, I figured I could find a gluten free dessert recipe to make for her. Unfortunately most required me to purchase several different types of flour (nothing I keep on hand would work) . . . and I got lazy. Work was busy, we had several social outings planned, etc. I cheated.
Betty Crocker to the rescue! At one point when I searched for gluten free recipes, her wonderful page popped up, and it turns out that they now make box mixes for both gluten free brownies and cookies. Sweet! They also had some recipe ideas to jazz up said box products, so I followed one of those using what I had on hand. Easy, tasty and very, very appreciated!

The original recipe can be found
here, and since the only thing I changed was using butterscotch chips in place of chocolate (for the topping), I'll let you check out their site for details. I'll say this: next time, I would use chocolate chips, not butterscotch. While they were all I had on hand (which is why I subbed them), the butterscotch overwhelmed the brownie and the peanut butter. Not that they weren't still good, I just missed being able to taste the peanut butter filling. Also, I baked the brownies on the short side of the cooking window, and they were very fudgy in the middle. That's how I eat mine, but not everyone feels the same way, so if you'd prefer them baked through, I suggest going with the higher end of the suggested baking timetable. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!