Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy

I haven't tried a lot of recipes from Eating Well’s website, but I can vouch for the tastiness of their chicken-fried steak and gravy. We've had cube steak in the freezer since we received our quarter cow last Fall, and it's not a piece o' meat I'm very familiar with cooking. I stumbled upon this recipe and decided I would finally bust out a package from the freezer. My only complaint is that the breading didn't want to stick to the meat as well as I'd hoped, but from what I hear, that's a common problem. Not sure how to remedy this for next time, but I'm happy there'll be a 'next time' for this! Buppy was a big fan, too.Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
Adapted from
Eating Well
1/2 c. all purpose flour, divided
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. + 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
1 tsp. paprika
1 lb. cube steak (approximately, I didn't weigh mine but I think that's what they were packaged as; mine was cut into 5 portions)
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
14 oz. beef broth (which I made from warm water & beef bouillion granules per package instructions)
1 1/2 Tbsp. water, divided
1/4 c. fat-free half & half
Warm mashed potatoes
Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Place 1/4 c. all purpose flour onto a large place. In a shallow dish or bowl, beat egg with 1/2 Tbps. water. In a separate bowl, stir together remaining 1/4 c. flour, cornmeal, 1/4 c. cornstarch & paprika. Season both sides of steak with salt & pepper. Dredge the steak in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture, then coat with the cornmeal mixture; be sure to shake off excess.

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2-3 pieces of steak to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook the steaks until brown on both sides, turning once, approximately 5 minutes total. Remove steaks from pan and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and steaks. Once all steaks have been pan-fried, bake for approximately 10 minutes to finish cooking.While they're baking, pour broth into the same pan the steaks were fried in. Boil over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until it reduces to approximately 1 cup (3-5 minutes). Combine 1 Tbsp. cold water with 1 Tbsp. cornstarch until smooth. Remove pan from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return the pan to the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture thickens, stirring occassionally. Stir in the half & half, taste the sauce and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Serve the steaks on top of warm mashed potatoes and top with gravy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!