Thursday, December 16, 2010

Raspberry Coconut Bars

I've had this recipe for so long it's embarrassing that I hadn't tried it until last week. We're talking early college days. I love raspberry anything (well, except fake raspberry liquor & candy, but it's a fine line), and who doesn't love coconut (besides Frankie)? I didn't write down where I found this when I jotted it down, but whoever came up with this was really on to something here!

Raspberry Coconut Bars
Source Unknown

1 2/3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 2/3 c. flake coconut
1 c. raspberry preserves
1/3 c. chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. vanilla or white chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter; press into a 9"x13" baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with coconut, then drizzle with milk. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned; cool completely. Spread preserves over crust and sprinkle with nuts. Melt chocolate chips (separately) and drizzle over nuts. Cut into bars; refrigerate until chocolate has set. Yield: approximately 3 dozen bars.
I made the mistake of cooling completely at the end prior to cutting into bars, so when I finally did cut them, the chocolate was obnoxious and cracked and got all jacked up. Oooops. These, like the praline crumb caramel cheesecake bars I made at the same time, did not want to release from the pan even though it had been sprayed with cooking spray. I'm thinking (because Buppy suggested it) this might be due to the fact that I used a generic cooking spray instead of Pam. Sometimes, you really get what you pay for, so next time I'll go with Pam and see if I have better luck with things releasing.

Overall, these were a huge hit at the holiday party I took them to. Everyone who tried them loved them and there were definitely "Oh! You have to try these!" comments thrown out. I'm taking the rest of them back to Wisconsin next week to share with my family for the holidays. Pretty sure they're gonna love 'em too. Enjoy!
*This post is linked to Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday for 11/10/11. Check out her site for more amazing dishes.

3 comments:

  1. What is the difference between Pam and generic spray? I thought it was oil in a aerosol can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know the difference, only that I don't have the issues with food sticking if I use Pam (generally) and I do if I use a generic cooking spray. Perhaps these bars would have stuck using either one, but I figure it's worth a shot to try the Pam brand. If not, I have no idea why my baked goods are sticking! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Bars look awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!