Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sausage & Spinach Soup

Tuesday night's dinner, which was actually supposed to make it's appearance last week, was sausage and spinach soup. While Buppy is leery of most dark green leafy veggies, I found out that it's usually when they're in cooked form, not fresh. For example, last night's garden salads had fresh spinach in them, and he enjoyed dinner. Now because I didn't have turkey Italian sausage on hand as the recipe suggested, my version isn't as figure friendly. With that being said, it still isn't bad for you. It's pretty much veggie soup with some sausage, and a tasty veggie soup at that. Read the recipe, then read my comment at the end. It's a real knee-slapper.

Sausage and Spinach Soup
Adapted from
myrecipes.com

9-10 oz. hot Italian sausage
1 c. chopped onion
2 tsp. jarred minced garlic
1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp. chicken bouillon (I favor Orrington Farms chicken flavored soup base by far)
2 c. water
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional garnish
Garlic toast, optional

Remove sausage from the casings and cook in a large pot over medium-high heat until approximately halfway cooked. Break up the sausage while cooking if possible; you're looking for small pieces. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and continue to cook several minutes or until the onion starts to become tender. Stir in the water, chicken bouillon, beans, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with freshly grated cheese with a side of garlic toast.

Ready for the fun part here folks? Did you pick up on the fact that my recipe has no spinach in it!??! Ah yes, Buppy found the bag buried underneath something else on our counter top as we were cleaning up after dinner. Silly, silly me. I remembered to buy it and even to pull it out when I pulled all the other soup ingredients! Now I'll have to try it again to see what it's really supposed to taste like. Oh well, it was still really good, healthy soup, so no complaints from anyone at our dinner table. For those of you questioning it, the spinach should be stirred in just prior to serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!