Thursday, April 5, 2012

Turkey Mushroom Stroganoff

No pictures for this recipe folks - it wasn't quite pretty enough. That, and I was lazy by the time I got home at 8pm.

The original recipe came from a recent Taste of Home magazine I received in the mail. There are always so many recipes I want to try in each issue, but then they get tossed into a pile and lost. I forget. Time moves on. But . . . this time I was determined to try one out, and that's just what this gal did.

Turkey Mushroom Stroganoff
Adapted from Taste of Home's Chicken Portobello Stroganoff

20 oz. ground turkey (Why? Because my grocery store didn't package it in 16 oz. sizes, which I found uber strange. A pound would be just fine too as that's what the original recipe used.)
12 oz. button mushrooms, cut into large chunks
1 medium onion
1 tsp. jarred garlic (the equivalent of 2 cloves)
1 c. chicken broth (I made mine with warm water & chicken bouillon)
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. light sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles or pasta

In a large skillet, cook the turkey, mushrooms and onions over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook a minute or so longer.

Bring the mixture to a boil. Because of the moisture from the veggies, I had quite a bit of liquid in my pan. Cook until that's mostly evaporated. Add the broth, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until the liquid in the pan is reduced to half or so. This took longer that I thought it would, but I forgot to time it. Just eyeball it!

Reduce the heat and stir in the sour cream. You want it to heat through once the sour cream is added, but not boil so the sour cream curdles. On my stove, I had to turn the heat completely off because it wanted to continue to boil. Work with it and see what happens - if it continues to want to bubble, just take it off the burner. Serve with the noodles or pasta, or eat as is if you're low-carbing life as I am right now. I didn't miss them at all, but I'm not a pasta/rice/noodle kind o' person. Yes, I just admitted that. Please don't throw things at me.

The verdict? Well, I don't post recipes I don't like. My thought though - it was a little bland. Buppy liked it and said that it's what stroganoff is supposed to taste like, so I guess I aced that. To be honest, I've never had stroganoff before so I had no idea what to expect. I guess I just like a little more spice in my life! Buppy liked the fact that it used ground meat; he said that if you order it at a restaurant, they often use tough cuts of meat, so this was much easier to eat. If you like stroganoff, give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh, and I had the leftovers for lunch today at work. I'm happy to say it reheats well. Enjoy!


Linked to Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday, 4/5/12.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great Turkey Stroganoff recipe that we would really enjoy. Hope you have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!