Friday, July 31, 2009

Bisque, the Zucchini Way

*Update: This week's URS (Ultimate Recipe Swap) by Life as Mom is for quick meals, so I'm adding this to her collection. I'm quickly becoming rather fond of her Thursday URS's and if you'd like to read more about them, stop by here.

Since we've already established that I love soup, this recipe should come as no surprise to anyone. Buppy and I had some leftover zucchini from our summer party, and since I had nothing better to do with it, it was made into a bisque. It didn't take me too long to find a simple recipe on allrecipes.com (I use this site a lot) and to say the very least, it turned out delish!

Zucchini Bisque
Recipe from allrecipes.com

1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 ½ c. shredded zucchini
2 ½ c. low sodium chicken broth
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. fat free half-and-half

In a large pot, sauté onion in butter until slightly tender. Add zucchini and chicken broth. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes; add seasonings. Puree on low in a blender (I had to do this in several batches). Return to pan; stir in cream and heat through.


This has got to be one of the simplest and most fantastic soup recipes I've ever tried. Buppy loved it too and insists that I make this often. What a great way to use up zucchini if your garden produces bunches of it! (I'm still lacking in the garden department for now. Poo.) This bisque, served with some crusty bread, would make a quick, easy and scrumptious lunch or dinner. We're thinking about adding crab meat (we're in Maryland, we add it to everything!) next time. I'll let you know when that happens. Enjoy!

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures. It was a beautiful green color but was eaten too quickly for me to snap a few shots!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really good~ I use allrecipes a lot, too. I love being able to sort the recipes by rating, that way I don't have to bother with the stinker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out to me. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds really good but i'm having a hard time reading your font.. is it purple on burgundy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Jasi, sorry. I've been playing with new backgrounds & colors and unfortunately it's not letting me change my default color for all posts at one time. I changed it to white now, so hopefully it's easier to read. Hope you try it & enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!