Sunday, February 28, 2010

Onion Beef Stroganoff

It's been awhile since I've posted a new recipe, so here's a tasty one. I purchased a copy of Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005 from eBay for some ridiculously low price and this is the first recipe Buppy and I tried from it. I'm happy to say it's definitely a winner in our opinion. The light & tasty part of it --- what a perk!

Onion Beef Stroganoff
Adapted from the Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005 Cookbook
Courtesy of Beth Bries, Farley, IA

1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 envelope onion soup mix [they recommend onion mushroom, plain onion was what we had on hand]
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. fat free evaporated milk [I meant to use fat free, but Buppy accidentally bought the regular full fat kind; next time it'll be fat free]
1 lb. boneless beef chuck steak, cut into thin strips [original recipe called for sirloin, we chose to use chuck]
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/2 tsp. minced garlic [we use from the jar, so that's equivalent to 1 garlic clove]
1 1/2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
Hot cooked noodles
[Have a few tablespoons of milk on hand to thin this out if it becomes too thick.]

In a saucepan, combine the first 4 ingredients. Gradually stir in the milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; keep warm.

In a nonstick skillet, brown beef in oil. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook a few minutes longer until mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat to low; stir in reserved sauce. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes on low until heated through. If the sauce appears too thick, add some of the milk on hand 1 Tbsp. at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Serve over noodles.

In reality, the kids and Buppy had it over noodles. I opted for an English muffin as my base. I'm a freak like that. It just sounded like a good combo and I was right ---- I enjoyed my way and the rest of the family enjoy theirs. Buppy took the leftovers to work with him and said they reheated well too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!