Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oriental Pork Cabbage Stir-Fry

This was dinner on Sunday night. The picture in the cookbook looked really tasty, so I had to give it a try. I tweaked the original recipe only slightly, and it turned out alright. The main thing I noticed, and I don't understand why this happened, was that the pork got tough. Buppy cut it into the appropriate-sized chunks, and I cooked it just as they directed, but it was tough. Tiny Tot #2 actually spit his out because it was too tough for him to keep chewing. He does that sometimes anyway with food, but this time I understood and knew where he was coming from. So odd. Good flavor nonetheless, so I think next time we'll try it with chicken or beef. Or tofu. Ha --- gotcha! No, tofu is not part of my diet except in hot & sour soup. Sorry folks, you won't catch me buyin' the stuff.

Oriental Pork Cabbage Stir-Fry
Adapted from Taste of Home's Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005
Jane Goldsmith, Bloomfield, IN

6 c. cabbage chunks [1-in. pieces] - I used Napa cabbage
3 tsp. canola oil, divided
1 extra large carrot, julienned
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 pork tenderloin [about 1 lb.], cut into 3/4 in. cubes
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
1 c. chicken broth, divided
1/4 c. reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 tsp. cornstarch
Hot cooked rice

In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry cabbage in 1 tsp. hot oil for 2 min. Add carrot and onion; stir-fry for 3-4 min. longer or until carrots are crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
Stir-fry the pork in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add ginger and stir-fry for 2 min. or until pork is lightly browned. Stir in 3/4 c. broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
Combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Return cabbage, carrot and onion to wok. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 min. or until thickened. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.

Like I said, good flavor in the dish overall, but I'll try a different meat next time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!