Thursday, June 17, 2010

Garlic-Oregano Pork Roast [Love you mom & dad!]

I blame my parents for this one; it's good, but not good for me! And I'd like to apologize right now for the lack of pork pictures, but I haven't made this in awhile. Instead, you can see pictures of my mom's wonderful pies, since I'm talking about her cooking anyway!Homemade pecan pie with pecans that grow on my parent's property in Texas. Definitely my favorite pie ever!

My parents are amazing in the kitchen. I know my dad's mom was too, but I'm not sure about my mom's mom. Both my parents cook, although my mom is definitely in the kitchen more than my dad. From my dad's chicken soup to my grandma's chili to my mom's pies, I grew up eating good stuff. I love them for many things, and that's definitely one of them, even if my love for cooking didn't blossom until a few years ago.
Homemade cherry pie my mom made with sour cherries we picked the day before in Door County, Wisconsin.

This is a 'recipe' I got from them, although you can't really call it a recipe. And I can't give you exact measurements because, well, they rarely measure things [except in baking, but we all know that's pretty much mandatory!] I'll do my best to walk you though things though, because in the end, you'll thank me. And kiss my toes!

I can't quite remember what cut of meat I've used for this in the past, but I think a shoulder arm roast or a shoulder blade [Boston] roast would work well. Both are intended for roasting, which is what you want. Do not use any type of loin here. While I love pork loin and tenderloin, they have their own uses in the kitchen, and this ain't one of 'em. The whole point is to have the meat basically fall off the bone because it gets so tender. Loin will never do that for ya, nor should it.
Garlic-Oregano Pork Roast
The recipe came from my parents, blame them for the vagueness!


Pork roast [shoulder arm or shoulder blade, preferably]
Garlic powder
Dried oregano
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400F. Season roast with garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper as desired. Place in roasting pan; add enough water to cover the bottom of roasting pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 300F (somewhere between 275F-325F depending on your oven) and continue to cook for another 2+ hours or until roast basically falls apart.

Yup, that's all there is to this bad boy. Super yummy. I always make homemade gravy out of drippings because, well, I'm a gravy junkie. Funny story --- before Buppy met wonderful lil' moi, he'd never made homemade gravy. Always used the jarred stuff. I think he definitely appreciates my abilities in the gravy department nowadays! Thanks to my wonderful mom & papa for this recipe [and for teaching me how to make gravy]!
My parents dropping me off at the airport as my vacay home [to Wisco] ended.

*This post is linked to Life as Mom’s Ultimate Recipe Swap for Favorite Cozy Foods. Stop on over for more great ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!