Thursday, June 24, 2010

Leftover fondue + fresh strawberries = dessert!

Father's Day was a day of laziness, a movie & a nice dinner at home. We had some leftover chocolate fondue I'd made awhile back in the fridge that needed to be used up, and some fresh strawberries too. Hmmm, what could I possibly make with both? *think*think*think* And the winner is . . . chocolate covered strawberries! Who would have ever thought?

I didn't feel like dragging out the fondue pot [we had enough dirty dishes with the rest of the meal!], so I decided to be a renegade and simply heat the chocolate in the glass dish it was stored in. Viola! Instant [almost] success! It didn't take long to melt in the microwave at all, surprisingly.

I really liked the texture of the chocolate more than regular melted chocolate by itself [the fondue had other things added to it when originally made], which made it seem softer and less brittle and breakable. Smooth and creamy baby!

I topped 3 of the strawberries with sprinkles [Buppy believes that sprinkles = happiness] and 3 with leftover crushed Oreo cookies [because those need to be used up too!]. Then I dipped 3 small graham cracker squares in the chocolate to go along with the berries. Six strawberries total, meaning 2 for each of the kids and 2 for Buppy. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm not really into sweets [eating them, that is], so I passed.

I had an emergency phone call from a family member in the middle of dinner that lasted forever, but the kids and Buppy all said they liked my creations. Hopefully they weren't lying. Then again, who wouldn't love 'em? I still have more chocolate to use up, so now I'm on the hunt to figure out what else I want to dip. Banana? Eh, been there, done that. Kiwi? Melon? Fresh mint leaves? Hmmm, I'll work on that. In the mean time, here are what my berries looked like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!