Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Greystone Grill - Restaurant Review

Photo courtesy of Greystone Grill's website.

Last night was a very enjoyable excursion to a restaurant in the Columbia/Ellicott City area with a good friend of mine who happened to be in town for work. I couldn’t let an opportunity to see him slip away since he finally made it to the Bmore area, so we met at his hotel and walked across the parking lot to check out the
Greystone Grill. Besides, being the foodie that I am, I welcomed the excuse to try out a new restaurant!

We started with a blue crab & artichoke fondue described in the menu as ‘a melting pot of cheeses with crisp crostini.’ People, that’s fancy talk for dip. It didn’t come out in a fondue pot, and no dipping skewers were provided. I was a little let down at the sight, but their crostinis more than made up for it! I’m not usually one to love bread by itself, but this was a definite exception to my rule. I’m not actually sure if it was scratch-made in the restaurant or if they jazzed up some store-bought goods, but the light sprinkling of Old Bay really made them shine. Dipped in the “fondue”, it was a flavorful way to start the meal. It definitely could have stood more artichokes in my opinion, but I’m not gonna knock cheesy-crabby goodness with really snazzy bread!

For the main event, my friend completely stole my idea after I told him what I was vibing on just prior to ordering. He was all set to order the shrimp & champagne pasta [which sounded divine!], but at the last minute went with the pan-seared ahi tuna, Greystone salad & side of the day, which happened to be green beans sautéed with garlic.

Even though there were plenty of yummy-sounding entrees to choose from, I chose to order an hors d’oeuvre and a side instead. I went with the ahi tuna appetizer --- “pan seared rare and sesame crusted, served with a wasabi vinaigrette.” It was, surprisingly, the first time I’ve ever ordered tuna in a restaurant. My side of choice? Sautéed mushrooms seasoned with garlic and thyme. Very glad I chose to go with a smaller portion; it was actually just the right amount. The tuna was very smooth, with a nice mellow flavor. I usually love sesame anything, but it seemed to get lost once I dipped the tuna in the wasabi vinaigrette; eh, the vinaigrette was really good as well, so I can’t complain.

Overall, I’d rate the experience as a 4 out of 5. The company was wonderful, the food was tasty, and the 3 hours flew by! Hopefully Buppy and I will be able to visit this restaurant, too. I think I saw on their website that they offer discounted gift certificates. Now who doesn’t love that
?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!