Sunday, November 7, 2010

Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ah, here I am, jumping back into the more "regular" posting of some tasty recipes. Who knows how long this'll last, but I'll try to keep up the good work.

Today has been a busy day so far, and I had to hit up 3 grocery stores throughout this past week to find the hashbrowns I needed for this recipe. They're my favorite for morning breakfasts, but very hard to find around here. I'd say the search was worth it; the soup is good as it is now, but Buppy and I agree that the addition of some protein (sausage or chicken) might be a nice, too. But it's light, and it's tasty, and I don't feel guilty eating it. Always nice to be able to say that!

Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup
Slightly Adapted from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty Annual Recipes 2005
Submitted by Peggy Hendrix, Richardson, TX

4 c. water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon powder (I prefer Orrington Farms)
4 c. fresh broccoli florets
3 c. frozen southern-style hashbrowns (I prefer Simply Potatoes)
1 c. chopped carrots
1 c. chopped celery
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 c. 2% milk
6 oz. 2% processed cheese (I prefer Velveeta)
1 c. chunky medium salsa

In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon powder, vegetables, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the salsa; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).I think next time I might use a mild salsa instead of a medium because the potatoes lend a lot of heat to the soup, too. This reminds me of a salsa con queso dip, with extra (lots of extra) veggies. I'm thinking it'll be a superb lunch at work with some garlic bread or some type of toast. Enjoy!

Linked to: My Sweet and Savory's Meatless Monday, 2/21/11

1 comment:

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!