Friday, January 21, 2011

Chorizo & Pasta

Chorizo. It's one of those things where, if you grew up on the good stuff they served in Southern Texas, all else seems to fall short later in life. I've tried several brands purchased in both Wisco and here in MD, and neither is what I'd call good. The most recent stuff was alright, but didn't add much to the dish other than heat. No real flavor whatsoever. Yes, I know what chorizo is made of and no, I don't want to actually taste that flavor, but please man, throw some spices in there! Don't be afraid. On the plus side, it wasn't as bad as some stuff I've had in the past. One in particular tasted like straight chili powder. Blecky.
Since I've had some chorizo in in the freezer for several months, I gave good ol' BC a try and put it to use in a chorizo and pasta recipe.

Chorizo and Pasta
Adapted from Betty Crocker

15 oz. chorizo, casing removed
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced Italian tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp. chicken bouillon
2 c. water
4 c. classic egg noodles

In a large non-stick skillet, cook chorizo and onion over medium-high heat for approximately 8 minutes, stirring often, until chorizo is cooked and the onion is tender. Yes, I know it's hard to tell when chorizo is cooked because it doesn't really change color at all. Pay more attention to the onion if that's the case.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook approximately 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, until the noodles are tender. If the consistency is too thin, continue to cook a few more minutes without the lid to reduce the sauce. Then: eat!
Verdict: This was alright, but next time I'll probably use a different meat. As I said earlier, chorizo up North just isn't really worth eating (in my opinion, that is). I also think the addition of some other veggies (corn, black beans, wilted spinach, etc.) would probably make tasty, healthy additions. It reheats well, just to let you know, as I had some for lunch today and it was still good. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!