Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Birthday, An Earthquake & A Hurricane - Oh My!

First of all --- a HUGE happy birthday to my wonderful mother today. Love you much, all the way up in Alaska! So glad we were able to chat, and just to let you know, you're my hero!

Now, a quick update to say that we all survived the random earthquake that shook, rattled and rolled us yesterday, Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011.

I was at work, as was Buppy, when it struck just before 2pm EST. Apparently the epicenter was Mineral, VA, and since Buppy is about an hour south of my work, he definitely felt it stronger than I did. He got much busier (working for a fire department in an emergency situation can do that to a person), while my coworkers and I simply decided to chat it up for the rest of the afternoon.

No damage to our home or my workplace, although there was some structural damage where Buppy works. A coworker near my hotel said her house shook enough to break some dishes displayed in a hutch. Didn't feel strong enough where I was to cause that, but who knows.

I thought it was the first quake I could say I survived, but Buppy correct me, pointing out that we were hit by a small quake a year or so. At that time, I was sleeping and woke to the bed shaking, leading me to believe Buppy had fallen out of bed (how funny would that have been?!). Truth be told, he was in the bathroom and nowhere near the bed when it happened. Regardless, I can now say I've survived 2 earthquakes. In Maryland. Sweet!


This weekend, Irene is a potential threat as well. I think Mother Nature is having fun with us here on the Eastern Seaboard. The dedication of a memorial to Martin Luther King Jr. is currently scheduled to take place on Sunday, and tens of thousands are expected at the National Mall in DC. Here's to hoping for a safe weekend.

1 comment:

I love feedback, so please let me know what's on your mind!